Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Film Junkies 5 Favorite Films: Zombies

Confessions of a Film Junkie: Das Film Junkie’s 5 Favorite Films: Zombies

By: Brian Cotnoir

     Zombies are one of my top 3 favorite things in the world today.  I became obsessed with zombies after the young adult novel series Twilight ruined my previous favorite thing: vampires.  So my desire for another form of undead creature led me to zombies, and I’m just thankful that I haven’t seen one (successful) attempt to make zombies sexy and desirable.  So today I am counting down my Top 5 Favorite Zombie Films.  If you haven’t seen any of these zombie based films then I highly recommend all of them.

5.) Otto, or Up with Dead People

There aren’t many films out there like 2008 German Horror film “Otto, or Up with Dead People”.  Directed by Canadian director Bruce LaBruce—a director whose films frequently feature Gay characters and issues.  It is the story of a young gay zombie named Otto (played by Jey Crisfar) as he struggles to find out how he fits in, in a world full of humans.  Along his journey Otto get’s recruited by an independent film director named Madea for her mock-umentary “Up with Dead People”, which is a story about the Gay Zombie Revolution.  Madea think’s Otto is just a dedicated method actor; Otto claims he is actually a zombie.  Half the fun of this film is trying to figure out whether Otto really is a zombie, or if he’s just some weird loner.  It is a story that is part Indie film, part Horror film, Part LGBT Mock-umentary, and it’s totally awesome!

4.) Shaun of the Dead

     This film is more sentimental to me than anything.  I am a big fawn of anything pertaining to Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and director Edgar Wright.  I mean my Best Friend Zee and I are just like Simon Pegg & Nick Frost characters in real life (she’s Simon and I’m Nick), but the fact that there is a movie about these two taking zombies fills my heart with joy and jubilation.  This movie has action, laughs, and so many great and memorable lines.



3.) Dead Snow

Hell Yeah!  What’s better than seeing heroes battle Zombies?  Heroes battling Nazi Zombies!  This Norwegian Horror film has everything gore, chills, awesome make-up & effects, and even a few laughs while combining elements similar to The Evil Dead franchise and Captain America.  It’s the story of a group of college students who are on vacation in a cabin up in the mountains of the remote Norwegian Wilderness.  Unbeknownst to the group of friends, the mountain side is also the final resting place for a group of Nazi soldiers who died during World War II after they were driven out by a village of angry residents.  This film has a lot of fun and creative subplots.  Including, how the films protagonists manage to survive the Nazi zombie attacks, and the motivation of the Nazi zombies make this one a must see for any Zombie movie fan.

2.) Zombieland

This was one of the most surprisingly epic films I’ve ever seen.  Judging from the first time I saw the trailer, I thought this film would be OK at best.  Much to my surprise this was not only one of the most hilarious films I’ve ever seen, but it is easily one of the best films I’ve ever seen.  It has the charm and quirkiness of an Indie film with the violence and gore of a Top-Notch Horror film.  This film a number of great and hilarious scenes performed by a phenomenal cast consisting of Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Emma Stone, Abagail Breslin, and even a brief cameo by the great Bill Murray.  All I know is that when/if the Zombie Apocalypse happens, this is the group I’d like to team up with.



1.) Dead Alive/Brain Dead


Before he gained fame and notoriety for “The Lord of the Ring’s” Trilogy and “The Hobbit” films, director Peter Jackson made one of the Best Horror films ever.  This is one of those films that I was told for years that I needed to see, and I put off for the longest time.  Well I finally saw it for the first time last winter, and I was blown away at how phenomenal this film was.  “Dead Alive” (or “Brain Dead” depending on what part of the World you live in) is the story of a young man from New Zealand named Lionel, who lives with his condescending and over bearing mother Vera.  Lionel has a crush on a young immigrant merchant girl named Paquita, who he wants to date, but Lionel’s mother disapproves.  Then one day after following the two of them to the zoo she is bit by a rare “Sumatran Rat Monkey” and begins to develop zombie like symptoms.  Her Zombie-ism quicky begins to spread across the town, and Lionel does his best to quell this zombie uprising before it takes over the entire nation of New Zealand and possibly the World.  “Dead Alive” is one of the Best, Bloodiest, and Funniest Horror films I’ve ever seen.  It has an out of this world story, a likeable and memorable cast, and so much blood and death that at times it is overwhelming!  I’m dead serious, I HEART this film, and I think that when Peter Jackson finishes with “The Hobbit” films, I would love for nothing more than for him to make a sequel for this “Dead Alive”, with today’s big budgets and special effects; I can only imagine the magic and awe that Mr. Jackson would be able to create.

PARTY'S OVER! :)


2 comments: