Tuesday, July 1, 2014

5 Films that will make you exclaim "What the Hell?!"


Confessions of a Film Junkie: 5 Films that will make you exclaim “What the Hell?!”

By: Brian Cotnoir

     I am a film blogger.  I review all sorts of films.  Most of them I consider to be quite bad, but every now and then I do see a good film and even more surprising is when I see a film that makes me throw my hands up in the air and exclaim “What the Hell?!”.  Some of these films are bad, some of them are so good they’re bad, and then there are some that just plain don’t make any d@mn sense.

5.) Antichrist

I’ve talked about this film and it’s director to know end. Lars Von Trier’s 2009 film “Antichrist” is a mind-f*ck from beginning to end.  I used to despise this film because I couldn’t understand it, and after watching it multiple times, I have finally accepted the fact that Lars Von Trier is a great director who loves to troll his audiences. I’ve heard him give 5 different explanations to the plot of “Antichrist”.  That’s awesome! I mean I could’ve put more than one of Von Trier’s films on this list, but I decided that wouldn’t be fair, so I picked “Antichrist” because it’s the most well-known of Von Trier’s films and it’s probably the most enjoyable. It’s got mysterious characters, weird imagery, graphic imagery, and a plot that quite frankly doesn’t seem to have a point, and a hundred other things that will confuse you.

4.) A Scanner Darkly

Wow, you hear people say something like “That film was so weird; it was like an acid trip”, but “A Scanner Darkly” might be a film inspired by an actual acid trip.  The film is based on by a novel of the same name by Philip K. Dick, and is about an undercover police officer trying to stop a drug addiction epidemic.  What makes the film so trippy is that the whole film was digitally shot and then the film was rotoscope animated over.  I will be perfectly honest I had no idea what was going on for 90% of the film, but it features the acting talents of Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, Robert Downey Jr., and Woody Harrelson.  It’s worth a shot, if you have a chance to see it.  You may not know what the hell is going on, but it is still a visually appeasing film.

3.) Shock Treatment

Shock Treatment” is the 1981 sequel to the cult-classic film “Rocky Horror Picture Show”.  However, where “Rocky Horror Picture Show” is very well known and beloved by all who have seen it, most fans of the original tend to despise “Shock Treatment”.  Well, I agree that it’s not as good as “Rocky Horror” I still didn’t think it was the worst thing ever.  One cool thing about “Shock Treatment” is that it features almost the entire original cast from the “Rocky Horror”, with the exceptions of Barry Bostwick and Susan Sarandon (who did not reprise their roles of Brad Majors and Janet Weiss).  I honestly don’t think I could explain the plot to “Shock Treatment”, it is that outrageous and bizarre...then again so was the plot to “Rocky Horror Picture Show”, but that was more entertaining outrageous and “Shock Treatment” is more confusing outrageous.  However, I did find most of the songs in “Shock Treatment” to be fun and enjoyable. If you like “Rocky Horror Picture Show”, you owe it to yourself to see “Shock Treatment” at least once.

2.) The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

I’ve only recently seen this film for the first time, and...wow.  It’s the story of a half-American half-Japanese man named Buckaroo Banzai, who is a Surgeon, a Rocket Scientist, a rock star, and a detective, who hunts aliens.  There is just too damn much going on in this film.  You’ve got a protagonist whose just perfect at everything he does, Christopher Lloyd as an alien from the 8th dimension, John Lithgow as the most stereotypical Italian villain you’ve ever seen in film...oh and Jeff Goldblum wearing a cowboy costume that makes him look like he’s auditioning for a Village People Cover-Band.  This isn’t just a “what the hell” film this is a “What in the flying f*ck” film.

1.) Highlander II
Why?  Why was this film made?  Who wanted a “Highlander II”?  Who in Hollywood insisted that this film be made?  What the hell does it have to do with the original “Highlander”?  I don’t know!  This film is awful, it serves no purpose other than to confuse you, frustrate you mentally, and make you exclaim “What the Hell is going on?!”  Trust me: you could probably make a drinking game out of all the times you will ask yourself “What the hell is going on?”, but then again you’d probably succumb to alcohol poisoning before you finish the film.  Just do yourself, and skip “Highlander II”, you can watch the original, but do not see this ungodly and unnecessary sequel!

2 comments:

  1. Good God, I've never seen so many Big Lipped Alligator moments in one place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #2 is just a cluster of Big Lipped Alligator moments!

      Delete