Friday, March 25, 2011

My Top 10 Films I could watch over and over again and never get tired of watching them PART II (#5-1)

#5- Fight Club
     There are two points in the lives of every man; they’re life before seeing “Fight Club” and their life after seeing “Fight Club”.  I have seen so many people make drastic changes to their lives after seeing this movie and I think every guy who has seen this movie has fantasized about being Tyler Durden at least once in their life.  Even though this film was based off of a Chuck Palahniuk novel, I still think that “Fight Club” has one of the most unique and original stories in the last 20 years of film.  To me “Fight Club” is a dark comedy that takes a satirical look at the effects the computer age and the trends technology growth have had on mankind.  Also, having my favorite actor, Edward Norton, in the film really helps me enjoy this film so much more.  I actually find it kind of upsetting that when I tell people my favorite actor is Edward Norton and their first response is usually “Who’s that?”, but all I have to say is “the other guy from Fight Club” and they know right away who he is (if they have seen the movie that is).    

#4- Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
     This film hasn’t even been out for a year and already it’s one of my favorites.  It’s part movie, part video game, part comic book, and it is all EPIC!  If a Hollywood writer removed my brain and forced it to write what I would consider the perfect movie, I bet it would look a lot like “Scott Pilgrim vs. the World”.  I will admit that I saw the movie before I read the comics, but I had never even heard of the comic books before this film was released, and I do like the comic books as much as I like the film.  I think the film’s director, Edgar Wright, did a fantastic job making this film and all the cast members were wonderful as well (by the way did you know that the guy Romana’s 2nd Evil Ex is also playing Captain America?  I’m serious, how cool is that?!).

#3- The Nightmare Before Christmas
     I saw this movie when it first came out when I was just a little kid and it’s one of the few movies from my childhood that I can still watch today and still be entertained.  Other than the amazing stop-motion and wonderfully likeable characters my absolute favorite part about this film is the music.  “The Nightmare Before Christmas” doesn’t even need lines of dialogue you could literally just listen to the songs and you would still be able to follow the story without any confusion.  It is simply one of the greatest movies ever made and it’s not just a movie for kids; it’s a film that can be enjoyed by kids, teens, adults, even senior citizens.  Also, did you know that the character “Lock” (the boy in the devil costume; one that was one of the Boogey Man’s henchmen) is voiced by actor Paul Rubens who you might know better as PEE WEE HERMAN!!!  Isn’t that so weird/awesome?

#2- Gangster No. 1
     I don’t know why, but I’ve always really liked movies from this genre, and “Gangster No.1” is about as close as you can get to perfect with this film genre.  “Gangster No.1” is a story of crime, passion, desire, betrayal, violence, love, and vengeance.  It features a great cast, memorable characters, and some of the most vulgar dialogue I have ever heard in any film.  You could make a drinking game out of how many times they say the C-word in this film.  Actor Malcolm McDowell’s monologue at the end of the film is great and it is also one of the best and darkest endings I’ve ever seen in a film.  It’s creative, it’s violent, it’s vulgar it’s all around a truly amazing film.    If you haven’t seen “Gangster No.1”then I really recommend that you see this fantastic British Gangster film.

#1- Cashback
     The first time I sat and watched “Cashback” I watched it because I was bored and I had nothing better to do.  I chose this film because of its provocative and risqué film cover and I thought it would be a cheap thrill. I was very wrong.  The story of “Cashback” is something we’ve seen done in films many times before; a couple goes through a nasty break up, the boy is depressed and tries to win the girl back but the girl has moved on and doesn’t want the boy back, the boy begins to plan out how he can win the girl back, along the way the boy meets another girl and thinks nothing of her, the other girl develops feelings for the boy, but he’s too oblivious to realize it, but by the end of the film the boy realizes how special the other girl really is and they end up together, but the way the story is told in “Cashback” is unlike all the other films like it.  Every time I watch this film I notice so many things that I did not notice in any of the other times I previously watched it and I find that exciting.  The main character of “Cashback” is a young man named Ben Willis—played by Sean Biggerstaff (who was also Oliver Wood in the first two “Harry Potter” films)—and even though he’s the main character you’re really not rooting for him.  He’s not a hero; his character is dull, mopey, and incredibly bland, and yet I like that.  I like that I’m actually detesting the films protagonist because it’s so different from every other film where you want the main character to be successful and happy.  “Cashback” makes you appreciate and notice all the small details of your life and everything around you, and every time I watch this film, it just seems to get better and better.  If you haven’t seen “Cashback” yet, do yourself a favor and see it; I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment